Here is a list of definitions that I have collected from around the WWW. I think it is important to understand the specifics of how Search Engine Optimization is being defined. Personally this research has empowered me to help me expand my vernacular. It gives me a great insight into how my discourse community or peers are defining SEO . Finally it also helps me understand what my clients and employers expect from me.
Some on this list are quite concise while others are very blunt, while they all cover the full gamut of SEO I do feel that others listed here miss the mark with their flare and flamboyant metaphors. Personally I do not believe that SEO should be explained using martial arts terminology or Ying and Yang. Some may find this helpful while others find it more confusing and have more questions than they did before the metaphor. I donâ€™t believe in making barriers to communicate effectively, intact I believe in shattering them to pieces as fast as I can before the barriers become cultural habits around the office.
Definitions of Search Engine Optimization
- The term used to describe the marketing technique of preparing a website to enhance its chances of being ranked in the top results of a search engine once a relevant search is undertaken. A number of factors are important when optimizing a website, including the content and structure of the website’s copy and page layout, the HTML meta-tags and the submission process.
- The act of altering a web site so that it does well in the organic, crawler-based listings of search engines. In the past, has also been used as a term for any type of search engine marketing activity, though now the term search engine marketing is more commonly used as an umbrella term.
- Search Engine Optimization From the Tao of Search Engine Promotion represents the Ying or Female Principle in that it is more fluid and receptive to the algorithms of the search engines, which of course you – do not control. SEO promotion is using known conventions and in some cases deconstructing the algorithms of the developers of the search engines and working with them. In other words it is like Judo where you use the momentum and power of the search engines to build your business. …
- (Search Engine Optimization) SEO is a process of arranging a web site’s content to obtain high rankings in various search engines (both the site and individual pages), and includes tailoring on-page text (such as headlines and subtitles) as well as choosing the proper keywords for a page’s meta tags.
- Optimizing a site to a search engines criteria.
- The act of optimizing a webpage and/or web site to perform well in the search engines. There is a growing niche of consultants and firms who specialize in this. Search engine optimization (SEO) The process of updating HTML code and choosing targeted keyword phrases related to a site, and ensuring that the site places well when those keywords are queried on search engines. …
- The altering of a Web site, Web pages and links to Web sites and Web pages to improve visibility, rank and relevance in the organic, crawler-based listings of search engines.
- Designing a website so that it ranks highly in the search engines when someone searches for specific phrases related to the site.
- the process of increasing the amount of visitors to a Web site by ranking high in the search results of a search engine. The higher a Web site ranks in the results of a search, the greater the chance that that site will be visited by a user. It is common practice for Internet users to not click through pages and pages of search results, so where a site ranks in a search is essential for directing more traffic toward the site.
- The process of improving web pages so that it ranks higher in search engine for targeted keywords with the ultimate goal of generating more revenue from the web site. There are many SEO techniques. In general, these techniques can be categorized as On-Page Optimization, On-Site Optimization, and Off-Site Optimization. There are also two schools of SEO: white hat SEO and black hat SEO. White hat SEOs are those that play by the rule (actually guidelines provided by search engines). …
- Process of improving the ranking of a website. Process will generally involve focusing content upon the web site, link building process and ensuring the website coding validates. Is the same as “Search Engine Optimization”, and “Search Engine Optimization”.
- These are the techniques used to improve a Web page’s results in a search.
- Abbreviation for Search Engine Optimization. Process of improving the positioning of a Web page in search engines. Optimization may involve design/layout changes, new text for meta tags, headlines and Web page content.
- SEO is the abbreviation for “search engine optimization”. SEO convinces search engine spiders to crawl your pages frequently.
- acronym for search engine optimization. This is the process of making a website ‘search-engine-friendly.’ Search engine optimization is primarily used to increase rankings in SERPs, and effective SEO can increase the potential of your website and bring in more traffic.
- Search Engine Optimization – optimized a site correctly for the search engine spiders to catalog it in their databases
- SEO means Search Engine Optimization, a process of fine tuning your website to get higher rankings on Internet Search Engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN. Learn more about SEO…
- SEO is the abbreviation for Search Engine Optimization. Search Engine Optimization is the changes made to a web page to improve the ranking of that page with one or more search engines. When optimizing a web site text is to be written to include prominent keyword phrases for title tags, description tags, keyword tags, alt attribute tags on images, headings and changes to the first 200-250 words in the main body text.
- Search Engine Optimization â€“ Refers to methods to increase the â€œnaturalâ€ search engine results of a site, including content optimization, link building and code optimization.
- Abbreviation for search engine optimization. The process of designing the web site to attract search engine spiders and improve a site’s ranking for relevant keywords within a search engine’s database. This process includes search engine and directory submission, which can require an inclusion fee.
- The changes that are made to the content and code of a web site in order to increase its rankings in the results pages of search engines and directories. These changes may involve rewriting body copy, altering Title or Meta tags, removal of Frames or Flash content, and the seeking of incoming links.
- Also known as website optimization. This is a process of altering the design, content and link network of a site in accordance with the latest search engine scoring formulas. The aim at all times is to improve a site’s position on search results pages.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) is a set of methodologies aimed at improving the visibility of a website in search engine listings. The term also refers to an industry of consultants that carry out optimization projects on behalf of client sites.